A parent may appeal a resident or nonresident school board’s denial to the Department of Public Instruction within 30 days of the date the notice of denial was postmarked or delivered to the parent, whichever is earlier.
The Department is required to affirm the school board’s decision unless it finds the decision was arbitrary or unreasonable. This means if the school board adopted policies, if its policies are in compliance with state law, and if it followed its policies exactly and without exception, its decision is likely to be affirmed.
Appeals Information for Parents
- PI 9418 - Form to File an Appeal of an Open Enrollment Denial
Appeals Information for School Districts
- PI 9414 - Submission of Record in Undue Financial Burden Appeal
- PI 9422 - Record of Decision in Space Appeal
- Defending an Open Enrollment Appeal (November, 2012 workshop)
- Open Enrollment - Habitual Truancy (November, 2012 workshop)